Kiong Hee Huat Tsai...!

Monday, January 23, 2012 0 comments






Happy Lunar New Year! I believe the best way to welcome 2012 Lunar Year of the Water Dragon is to visit Binondo. Yesterday, January 23rd, I woke up early and did 1 hour easy running. After the run, I took a shower , wore red shirt and headed straight to Chinatown.












The CHINOY communities in the Philippines celebrate Chinese New Year in the hope of attracting peace, prosperity and closer family ties.
 
 The mythological Chinese dragon is the main symbol of Chinese New Year plus the firecrackers that are believed to drive off bad luck.



They prepare lucky money in red envelopes (ampao) ,
display various food and fruits on a table to invite good fortune.





Thus, people gathered on the streets to witness and participate in dragon dances and parade which took place in Chinatown particularly in Ongpin St.


There were loud beats of the drum and the deafening sounds of the cymbals which believed to expel evil spirits. The experience was very exhausting. I had a hard time getting a seat in restaurants nearby. The line was endless but I managed to find a place to eat. Patience is the name of the game. I wrote about it in my other blog. Tiring it may be, but I am not complaining, because i enjoyed every minute of the celebration.



Had a great time taking photos on the street. Colorful parade, smiling people, red was the color of the day.


The best part was when I met the town's mayor "Alfredo Lim" and greeted him
for the successful celebration of Chinese new year.









                                                                 - japol  orona


0 comments: to “ Kiong Hee Huat Tsai...! so far...

my passion

my passion